Ynysowen RFC | 1st Team 17 - 13 Llandaff North RFC | 1st Team
Gavin Alex Richards
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Lewis David Hughes
Try 1
Craig Rhys Maybank
Try 1

Match Report
20 October 2015 / Team News

Ynysowen Sharks 17 Llandaff North 13

Despite the early kick off a good crowd had gathered for this league encounter played in dry conditions and on a firm pitch. The visitors were the first to settle and took the game to the Sharks with their heavy forwards driving hard and their scrum dominant.  The home  defence was working overtime with Luke Price putting in several important tackles and outside half Gavin Richards relieving pressure with some long raking clearance kicks.
However gradually the Sharks found a way into the game and started to mount attacks of their own. Young debutant Jack George was having a fine game and his passing in particular was top draw.  The home pack had now settled and a big drive following a line out won a penalty which Richards slotted over.  The North responded by moving the ball and a good tackle by George saved a score. The pressure brought a penalty which levelled the scores. The game was being played at a furious pace and was a physical battle. Second row Gethin King made ground down the right and won a penalty which sailed narrowly wide.The Cardiff side mounted further attacks and another penalty gave them a slender lead at the interval.
Replacement Dewi Morris  was making his presence felt with a number of big charges and some good work at the break down. A Morris run down the middle allowed his side to set up a series of attacks. The three quarters showed great patience and good handling skills with Lewis Hughes finally crashing over. Richards added the extras. The visitors came back with Joe Price crossing close to the ruck and a successful conversion extended their lead.
Home number eight Rhyan Williams was becoming increasingly influential with his ball carrying causing panic in the visiting defence as he continually made ground. Again the Sharks set up a series of attacks with all the three quarters involved. They went close following a good line out move before the ball was recycled quickly by the forwards. Good handling by George who passed to Richards. He found replacement Craig Maybanks who came on a lovely angle to split the defence and touch down. Richards made the conversion from wide out.
With time running out llandaff North threw everything at the Sharks line but were met with a determined defence and a scrum which was now  on top. The Sharks cleared their lines as the referee ended an absorbing contest.  
This week the Sharks make the short journey down to Cilfynydd while the Dynamo's are home to Abercynon and the Sharklets entertain Blackwood.