Ynysowen RFC | 1st Team 15 - 15 Llandaff RFC | 1st Team
Chris Davies
Penalty 5

Match Report
14 September 2015 / Team News

Ynysowen Sharks 15 LLandaf 15

The Sharks began their home campaign in division 3 East Central A against opponents who were competing 2 divisions higher than the Sharks last season.
In the first ever meeting between the two clubs it was the visitors who applied the early pressure with number 8 Christian Francis prominent in the loose and providing quality line out ball. However the Sharks defence held firm with full back Chris Davies safe under the high ball and putting in some big clearance kicks. It was Davies who opened the scoring when he landed a penalty from wide out. The visitors continued to attack and good passing amongst the three quarters released right wing Anthony Davies who touched down wide out. Ynysowen hit back with some good handling of their own almost resulted in a try. Wing Jarrold Jones showed good strength down the left as he made good ground. Both teams were getting heavily penalised at the breakdown as they struggled for continuity. A penalty by outside half Geraint Nicholas increased the visitors lead which was short lived as two Davies penalties gave the home side an unlikely half time lead.
The second period saw the Sharks play with a lot more determination as the forwards upped their work rate. Replacement Dewi Morris was heavily involved as he put his side on the front foot and wing Craig Maybank went close in the corner. Centre Rhyan Williams made a number of barnstorming runs down the middle and flanker Luke Price also went close. The pressure resulted in another penalty which Davies slotted. Morris made another big run down the flank but his chip ahead was bundled into touch. A further Davies penalty increased the lead as the home defence swarmed all over the visitors forcing them to back peddle. A penalty miss by Davies saw the Cardiff team counter attack from deep and make ground down the left. A succession of penalties gave away field position as the visitors searched for a try. Pressure on the line finally resulted in them scoring wide out with the conversion to follow. Hooker Andrew Roberts  stepped up to coolly convert and tie the scores with the last kick of the match.
The Sharks coaches know there are areas of the game that need tightening up but will also be pleased with their teams second half performance and the effort shown by all their players.