Nantymoel RFC | 1st Team 10 - 44 Ynysowen RFC | 1st Team
Thomas Hughes
1 Try
Luke Price
2 Try
Lewis David Hughes
1 Conversion
1 Try
Gavin Alex Richards
4 Conversion
2 Penalty
2 Try

Match Report
23 February 2015 / Team News

Nantymoel 10 Ynysowen Sharks 44

This was an eagerly anticipated last 16 SWELEC bowl encounter as the Sharks visited unbeaten division 3A Central league leaders Nantymoel. The hosts kicked off and Jamie Caviel collected and made ground up the slope. Thomas Hughes went close in the left hand corner as the Sharks kicked intelligently through Chris Davies and Gavin Richards. The visitors took the lead following a fine break in mid field by Richard Addis good passing found the support and Luke Price galloped over close to the posts. Lewis Hughes added the extras.

This stung Nantymoel into action as they tried to take advantage of a slopping pitch. They frequently turned the ball back inside but the visiting back row were alert to this and were able to snuff out any danger. The hosts were able to cut the arrears with a well struck penalty by Geoff Powell. Lewis Hughes was causing the home defence a number of problems with some powerful bursts down field. With minutes of the half remaining the home team mounted a sustained period of pressure as they hammered away for the line however they were met with a ferocious defence around the fringes as time and again the attackers were thrown back. The pressure the defence created eventually forced a penalty and Richards was able to clear the danger enabling his side to turn around in the lead.

The second period began in spectacular style as captain Richards collected a loose ball on the opposition ten meter line . He embarked on a long arcing run which took him past the cover. Suddenly he found himself close to the try line and he crashed through the last defender for a fine individual score. He then picked himself up and smashed the conversion over.

The momentum was now all with the Sharks as they piled forward. Good passing and quick hands by Richards created space for Thomas Hughes who sprinted in at the corner to send the large and noisy Sharks following into raptures. Another quality break by Addis took play down field. A long pass found Lewis Hughes who steamed over. Nantymoel then stuck back and crossed when a move in mid field wrong footed the defence as Steve Webber crossed.

However the final twenty minutes was all Ynysowen as their slick offense caused all sorts of problems for a tiring defence. Quick ball at a ruck allowed Richards to grab his second try at the posts and he also slotted two penalties as the hosts were forced to infringe. Wave after wave of attacks paid off as Price sprinted over with the defence splinted.

This was an excellent display by the Sharks who now go in the hat for Tuesday’s quarter final draw. The performance was a tribute to the hard work the players and coaching team have put in over the last few months which has enabled them to become a formidable outfit. Keep up the hard work guys!

Everyone connected with the club would like to wish young Iaeuan Price a speedy recovery from a dislocated shoulder he sustained in the dying minutes of the match

Also the players and coaches would like to thank the large and vociferous support. It really is a big help.

Attention this Saturday switches to Andrew Hurley’s Dynamos’ side as they visit Penygraig for a  semi-final game in the Mel Davies cup.